Students protest school culture, lunches, conditions

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kingsbury High School is a public high school in the Shelby County Schools district.

Angie Vega

Angie Vega

Angie Vega

Angie Vega, Executive Editor

Kingsbury students participated in a walk out to raise awareness of conditions at Kingsbury High School on Thursday, Oct. 10.

Shelby County Schools Director of Student Affairs Billy Walker and other district personnel visited classes on campus to address student concerns prior to the walkout and then held a forum with students.

“I care about your voice,” Walker told students during the forum. 

Students used social media to share frustrations and grow the number of students participating in the walkout. Ashton Carson, a junior, said word of the walkout also spread outside of social media as well. 

Students wanted to protest issues that they believe are ongoing: school lunches, school culture, restroom conditions, gym conditions, as well as some others. Some students felt that not all of their concerns were voiced.

“Actions speak louder than words,” Carson said. “There were some things that were (not talked about) such as the gym, the football field, the classrooms and the conditions of the furniture. Some classrooms have broken desks and broken chairs.”

Rodents in the school were also a concern of students, Hayley Sanders, a junior, said. Sanders said she believes the walkout made a difference.

“They (district officials) were here; they got to see our emotions and how we felt about it,” Sanders said. 

Walker promised to address school lunches when students return from Fall Break. He also said the district will continue to work on the students’ other concerns.

The Flying Falcon staff will follow up with the district officials upon return from Fall Break on these issues. 

Also read about the Superintendent’s recent visit to Kingsbury.