Stress management significant in student success

Izzy Calix, Staff Writer

Being a teenager can be stressful from dealing with the dreadful puberty to drama in both platonic and romantic relationships, but there is more to it than teenage angst.

Teenagers, especially those in high school, go through not only physical, but also emotional changes. Whether at home, in relationships or in school, teenagers suffer from high levels of chronic stress. Suicide is the third leading cause of teenage deaths, mostly in the ages of 12 and above, according to the Center for Disease Control. Students can take several steps to help negate stress.

One popular stress reliever is exercising. Exercise releases endorphins, a chemical that helps increase happiness and act as a natural painkiller, according to the Anxiety and Depression Association of American. Examples of exercise include taking a walk, jogging and playing ball. Some coaches also recommend not overcommitting or being involved in too many sports, as this can cause stress in itself.

Mr. Ryan Cornwell, a chemistry teacher and coach said, “students can relieve stress by being active or  find something that refreshes you and what’s best for you. If there’s too much on your plate, drop some and do the most important.”

In addition to exercise, talking through the stress with someone can be beneficial. Talking to someone trusted can help release tension, see the problem in a new way and help identify solutions, according to the Better Health Channel.

Students tend to allow stresses to build on top of each other, which can then escalate to violent behavior.  Coach Q. Clay, recommends students “step away, walk backwards for 20 seconds, get calm and collect thoughts” before responding or escalating. “Try to see things in the other person’s perspective before speaking or jumping to conclusions,” he said.

Stress will be a part of life, but understanding how to manage it can help students stay focused and reach their goals.

Mr. Marcus Clark, a geometry teacher says there is one thing he’d like students to remember when they feel stressed.

“Realize human lives are important,” Clark said. “You can’t stress over everything.”

If you or someone you know need help dealing with stress, please reach out to a friend, a counselor or a trusted mentor.

The national hotline for suicide prevention can be reached at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).