New Arrivals: Ellzey returns to where it all began

Back to Article
Back to Article

Leah Boone-Stewart, Staff Writer

Editor’s note: New arrivals features staff new to Kingsbury for the 2018-2019 school year. Several new staff profiles are still being written or edited and will appear on the website when they are ready to publish.

Today, she walks the halls as the new Freshman Academy assistant principal, but Tameka Ellzey, once walked the halls of Kingsbury as a student.

Part of her decision to work at Kingsbury was founded in the school pride she feels as a graduate.

Ellzey says she cannot pinpoint one single inspiration that led her to become an educator, but says she remembers the movie Lean On Me. Ellzey said the movie featured a principal who tried to push the school in the right direction and in the end, succeeded.

Prior to joining the staff at Kingsbury, Ellzey was a PLC coach with another school in the Shelby County Schools district. This is her first year as an assistant principal  She says she will continue to pursue her position until she decides to retire.

In her free time, Ellzey says she tries to unwind and express her feelings through dance and occasionally working out. She also said from time-to-time she will see a movie or hang out with friends.

Ellzey was born and raised in Canton, Miss., later moved to Memphis, graduated from Kingsbury, and then, she attended The University of Memphis. Ellzey obtained her master’s in Educational Leadership from Grand Canyon University.

She is looking forward to serving students this year.