Kingsbury hosts naturalization ceremony

Shows students "what future could look like"

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kingsbury hosts naturalization ceremony

Citizens preparing for naturalization completed the Oath of Allegiance.

Sha'Zariea Rogers

Sha'Zariea Rogers

Sha'Zariea Rogers

Sha'Zariea Rogers, Staff Writer

A naturalization ceremony was held at Kingsbury High School on Oct. 23 where people of more than 50 nationalities became US citizens.

Assistant Principal Jones said the school decided to host this ceremony so students have the opportunity to see the process and that it is legally possible to become a U.S. citizen.

The ceremony left a sense of pride among those who became citizens and those who attended the ceremony.  People walked across the stage and got a diploma becoming a US citizen after taking the Oath of Allegiance.

Naturalized citizens receive the same freedoms and rights as those who were born in the US.

Briseyda Bautista, a freshman, said that she took away from the ceremony that no matter where you are from, everyone is equal.

“It felt good that everybody (can) become a citizen,” Bautista  said.

The naturalization process also provides citizens “better opportunities” than those they would have otherwise had, said Ms. Santamaria, a Spanish teacher at Kingsbury.

Santamaria says that the ceremony was important to her as someone who has been through the naturalization process herself.

“My parents wanted a better future for me, and I would want the same for my child especially coming from another country,” she said.

Students were able to attend the ceremony and watch the process.

Imelda Oungouramang, a senior, says she is looking forward to “walking across the stage and getting my diploma.”

Oungouramang said she is excited to one day complete the naturalization process. She watched her mother go through the process two years ago. She was very happy to participate in and attend the ceremony.

Kingsbury is a highly diverse school with 91% of students attending the school identified as a minority.

With such a diverse population, Jones said it’s important to host ceremonies like the naturalization ceremony to help students see what their future could look like.

Qualifications for naturalization include: passing a naturalization test, residency requirements and taking an Oath of Allegiance. For more information on becoming a naturalized citizen,visit the US Citizenship and Immigration Services website.