Abriendo Puertas opens doors for students

Abriendo Puertas, which means opening doors in Spanish, is doing just that for students.

Lilly Alegria, one of the program leaders for Kingsbury, said Abriendo Puertas is open to all students but has a primary focus on assisting Latino students. The curriculum is geared towards showing students who may traditionally not consider college or post-secondary opportunities for various reasons that college may actually be an option.

The group meets after school on Mondays and is open to junior and senior students, Alegria said.

“It’s a college and career-readiness program,” Alegria said. “So we help students navigate through the world as they are graduating or preparing to graduate. Many times (students) don’t know what to do to get into college.”

Alegria said the program helps both documented and undocumented students find scholarships, schools and career options. There are schools that offer scholarships to undocumented students, and Abriendo Puertas actually develops a list of those colleges and resources for students.

Kingsbury is one of 5 high schools the program partners with, according to the program’s website.

Abriendo Puertas is an arm of Latino Memphis, and the mission of the program is to promote post-secondary opportunities to Latino youth, according to the website.

Students interested in the program can stop by Room 155 on Mondays during the school year.