Flooded hallway interrupts classes

Access+to+the+junior+hallway%2C+teacher%27s+lounge+and+main+library+entrance+were+blocked+Monday%2C+Nov.+19+after+a+flood+was+discovered.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Flooded hallway interrupts classes

Access to the junior hallway, teacher's lounge and main library entrance were blocked Monday, Nov. 19 after a flood was discovered.

Ixcel Rodriguez

Ixcel Rodriguez

Ixcel Rodriguez

Kimberly Rodriguez and Ruby Hernandez, Staff Writers

Several classes were moved Monday to the auditorium because of a flood in the junior hallway. The main entrance to the library was also not accessible.

The cause of the flood has not yet been released.

Students were required to walk around the campus to access certain classrooms rather than through the junior hallway.

At least seven teacher’s schedules were disrupted from the incident. Several students said they felt the movement affected their learning.  Teachers with classrooms along the junior hall were unable to access their classrooms Monday. This left them unable to get necessary teaching materials for the day.

Maria Rueda, a junior, said she couldn’t work without a table and felt the auditorium was cold. She also said not being in her normal classroom made it difficult to focus on her work.

Fernanda Sanchez, a junior, said the movement was inconvenient with longer walks to and from class. Sanchez also said the auditorium was colder than she would have liked.

Kennice Pratt, a sophomore, said her Intro to Theater class was unable to work on their scripts, listen to the music for the musical or work on their questions because the scripts were in one of the blocked off classrooms.

However, not all students were upset with being moved to the auditorium.

Joshua Jackson, a junior, said he wasn’t bothered by not being the classroom.

Judith Leal, a sophomore, said being in the auditorium allowed her time to complete makeup work and get extra credit finished as well.

Interim Principal Mr. Miller was not available for comment at the time of publication. The Flying Falcon staff will continue to update this story with additional information as it becomes available.

UPDATE 11 a.m. Nov. 20: Interim Principal Mr. Miller said the flood was caused by a pipe that had burst in the ceiling and leaked onto the floor. Supervising Building Engineer Mr. Arnold contacted the districted Monday morning to inform them. Miller said the issue was resolved before noon, but as a precaution the hallway was closed for the entire day. Classes were operating as usual on Tuesday.

Like our Facebook page and follow us @KHSFlyingFalcon on Twitter and Instagram to stay up to date on this story and others.