Black History Month program celebrates those making difference

Ixcel Rodriguez, Staff Writer

Kingsbury High School hosted an annual Black History Month program on Feb. 22. The program featured game shows, skits, dances, and even a step show by fraternities and sororities from LeMoyne-Owen College.

Carmin Chambers, a junior, said Black History Month teaches that “can’t is not in the vocabulary” of Blacks and African-Americans.

“Black History Month is an empowerment,” Chambers said. “Every day should be an empowerment, but Black History Month pushes you more and gives you more information about all the Black historical people who made a difference in society.”

Dominique Spencer, a junior who participated in the program, said the program was to demonstrate the struggles people have been through and to create unity.

The program was to “basically bring every race together,” he said.  He also hoped that students would be inspired by what they saw during the program.

Black History Month was created to celebrate the people who have made a difference in their time. Black History Month celebrates both the living and dead who have made a difference.

Mr. Dexter Britt, a History teacher at Kingsbury, said celebrating Black History Month is important for several reasons.

”Everyone needs to pause and take a good look at the impact of race in America, and the way it has impacted and molded America,” Britt said.

The program was different than other programs in the past as there was no one featured speaker. Students actively participated in the event through various skits as well as the audience being able to respond to game show questions.

“I wanted to implement something that was going to have audience engagement,” Britt said. “Students being able to respond to the game show questions on their phones was different. We may implement it again in the future.”

Britt said the skits were designed to highlight the positives of Black culture. Skits included “I am Black and …” where students were able to state what they could also be in addition to their skin color.

Examples included: “I am black, and I can be a CEO of my own company.” “I am Black, and I can take AP courses.” “I am Black, and I’m proud.” and “I am black, and I can vote.”

Other skits included a debate between Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. Dubois.

Another skit called Afro Latina was focused on highlighting a subculture of people who are both of African and Hispanic decent.

Britt said he hopes the 2020 Black History program will be “bigger, better and blacker.”